I have written lots about sandwiches and food for everyday occasions over the past few years. However, it’s been interesting over the past few days as a result of my School Holiday blog series of the number of emails I have had for ideas for school lunch boxes that kids will eat and find yummy.
I’m not a parent, but I do work from home and lunch is an important part of my day. I like to come up with different food ideas for myself too. Repetition in food is non-eventful!
Did you know the sandwich was introduced as a solution to the Earl of Sandwich 1718 – 1792 being able to eat whilst remaining at the gambling table? Taking time out for a meal was considered an unwelcome interruption to his game, so he requested meat between two slices of bread to keep his fingers clean on his cards!
My lunchbox ideas:
- keep food items as healthy as possible.
- Ensure there is a good mix of fruit and vegetables
- A filling item with flavours the kids will like does help – usually a sandwich, wrap or cold pasta dish
- Drinks should be unsweetened
- Use up dinner leftovers e.g. – pasta in sauce
- Little pots of raisins can help fill up and are healthier than chocolates yet just as sweet.
What ideas do you have?