James’ Cocktail Shakin’ Gems
- Add plenty of ice to the shaker.
- Measure your ingredients.
- For cocktails served “up” (without ice), chill your glasses in the freezer first.
- Don’t use the same ice twice. If you’re straining a drink from a cocktail shaker into a glass filled with ice, use fresh ice, not the ice from the shaker; the same is true for stirred cocktails. And if you’re making a second round, use fresh ice.
- With lemon or orange twists for garnish, try to remove only the outermost skin portion of the peel without the pulpy white part, which can be bitter.