Beefeater Gin Lover’s Chicken
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. chives, chopped
3 tbsp. lemongrass, chopped
3 tbsp. parsley, chopped
2 shallots, sliced
50g mushrooms, sliced
Juice of 3 lemons
2 tbsp. Beefeater Gin
1. If you plan to cut the chicken in pieces yourself, cut the chicken in half, remove back-bone and cut parts so that you are left with 2 legs/thighs, 2 wings, and 2 breasts. Cut a thin slice into the joint between the thigh and leg allowing marinade juices and the heat to get inside the meat when cooking.
2. Place chicken in marinade bowl. Sprinkle with salt and add fresh ground pepper to taste.
3. Finely chop each of the following: chives, lemongrass and parsley; add to the chicken. Add 2 sliced shallots to the bowl along with the mushrooms.
4. Cut 3 lemons in half and squeeze. Pour juice into bowl.
5. Add the gin.
6. Place covered bowl in the refrigerator for 12 hours. The ingredients should be turned at least once during the marinating process.
4 tbsp. butter
100ml double cream
Parsley for garnish
1. Remove marinade from the refrigerator. Heat butter in pan until very hot, but not boiling. Put chicken pieces in pan and brown on both sides for about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, transfer mushrooms and herbs out of liquid lemon marinade. Add liquid to pan (if a few mushrooms and herbs escape into the cooking pan, it won’t hurt a thing). Mix the chicken pieces with the marinade juices. Add to the pan the heavy cream and gently stir in. When the mushrooms begin to boil, cover and turn to medium low heat and let simmer on stove for 15- 20 minutes.
3. Remove pan from heat and put chicken pieces on a platter or right into the serving dish. Add the marinated mushrooms and herbs to the sauce and return pan to the stove. Stir sauce over medium heat for a few minutes. Pour sauce over chicken and serve. Or put chicken pieces on individual plates, spoon on sauce, and garnish with parsley.